Our technological world relies on a set of transport mechanisms for moving basic commodities to where they are needed. Nations have traditionally managed this within the confines of their borders. International transport from producer to consumer can be better managed at a global scale.
The service should manage global
- Water and water transport. Water resources globally. Providing storage, water transport and desalination where required.
- Waste, waste transport, processing and recycling.
- Air travel
- Energy production and energy transport. Electricity, hydrogen, PV. The system should aim to provide renewable energy resources and eventually replace hydro with wind/tidal/solar.
- Communications and data (earth and satellite)
- While the actual provision and maintenance of infrastructure, and the production and transport across the infrastructure can be a commercial exercise, planning, standards definition, monitoring, and funding should be functions of the service.